The following list contains most of the significant tasks that you will need to do in preparation for your move. For each task, we have also indicated the “ideal” timing. If you are unclear about any of these tasks, including determining whether they apply to you, feel free to call us or ask your Realtor.
8 Weeks Before Closing
- Call moving companies for estimates.
- Remove and dispose of unnecessary possessions from your closets, attic, basement, storage sheds, etc.
- Start compiling an inventory of your possessions.
- Get a floor plan (with room dimensions) of your new home to help you decide what furnishings you want to keep and what room they will go in.
- Start using up things you can’t move, such as perishables.
- Start a file of moving-related papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records and family medical records.
6 Weeks Before Closing
- Contact the IRS and/or your tax advisor for tax-deductible information.
- Evaluate your possessions inventory and dispose of unwanted possessions (moving/garage sale, donations to charities).
- Secure off-site storage, if applicable.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals, and hospitals in your new location.
- Notify the following of your change of address:
Banks and credit unions
Credit card companies
Church, clubs, and social organizations
Relatives and friends
Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration
Insurance agent, lawyer, tax/financial advisor
Employers and unions
- Choose your mover and sign a contract with them.
5 Weeks Before Closing
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent about coverage for moving and secure more if necessary.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowners, medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
4 Weeks Before Closing
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair/cleaning as needed.
- Create file of important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title; medical, dental and school records, birth certificates, wills, deeds, stock certificates, and other financial documents.
- Contact utility companies (natural gas, electric, heating oil, water, telephone, cable TV, scavenger/trash collection) with date to discontinue/transfer service at your old home and start/ transfer service at your new home. Also arrange for final readings and bills including refunds on prepaid services.
- If moving from an apartment, arrange for refund of your security deposit.
- Discontinue additional home services (housekeeper, gardener/lawn service, snow removal, and pool cleaner), if applicable.
3 Weeks Before Closing
- Make travel plans, if necessary.
- Arrange to close existing bank accounts and open new accounts in new area, if necessary.
- Notify your state’s department of motor vehicle of your new address.
- Arrange for childcare on moving day.
2 Weeks Before Closing
- Arrange transport for your pets and plants.
- Service your car for travel to new area.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.
1 Week Before Closing
- Pack moving essential boxes, important documents, travel clothes, personal items, and prescription medications.
2–3 Days Before Closing
- Confirm final arrangements with your mover.