March Indoor To Do List
Spring is just around the corner. Be sure to do your home maintenance now, so you can enjoy
the nice weather outside this spring. Here’s a checklist of what to look at around your home.
* Change out your furnace filter. A clean filter promotes better energy efficiency and
improves indoor air quality.
* Have your air conditioner serviced for the upcoming summer months. This will
ensure that your air conditioner is running efficiently and safely.
* After heavy rains, inspect your basement walls for signs of moisture, cracks or
leaks. If you detect wetness, run a portable dehumidifier. If problem persists consult a
* Check your crawl space for water accumulation or excessive moisture and keep an
eye out for problems.
* Check for signs of a water leak in your home. Start by turning off the water supply to
your house. Note the reading on the water meter. If the reading changes after 1-hour,
there is a leak somewhere in the plumbing system.
* Check the valve where water enters your house, outdoor faucets and valves to
toilets. Turn each off and on several times to identify leaks.
* Check to make sure your sump pump works properly. You can pour water into the
pump silo to raise the float and activate the motor. If it is not working correctly, call a
* Inspect the grout and caulk around sinks, tubs and showers. Repair or replace
* Daylight Savings Time begins. Honor the occasion by replacing batteries in smoke
and carbon monoxide detectors.
* Review the contents of your medicine cabinets and throw away dated prescriptions or
over-the-counter medicines. Be sure medicines are out of reach of children or contained
in a cabinet equipped with childproof locks.
* Clean the refrigerator, inside and out, with a mild detergent. Remove all trays and
shelves, wash, and allow to dry thoroughly before replacing them. Remove old ice from
* Prepare for vacation. Schedule time off. Make reservations and schedule flights for
* Organize your paper. Root out and recycle old magazines, newspapers, and assorted
mementos. Build a new file system or clear out old files that are past being useful.
* Prepare taxes or have them done. File electronically this year. If you owe, write the
check and prepare to mail … on April 15 and not a minute sooner!