This week I had the first case in history ofraisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. Mypatient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old maleneutered lab mix that ate half a canister ofraisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting,diarrhea and shaking about 1AM onWednesday but the owner didn't call myemergency service until 7A M.
I had heard somewhere about raisins ANDgrapes causing acute Renal failure buthadn't seen any formal paper on thesubject. We had her bring the dog in immediately.
In the meantime, I called the ER service atMedVet, and the doctor there was like me –had heard something about it, but anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Centerand they saidto give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenanceand watch the kidney values for the next48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)was already at 32 (normal less than 27) andcreatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end ofnormal). Both are monitors of kidneyfunction in the bloodstream. We placed anIV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and theBUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 withno urine production after a liter of fluids. Atthe point I felt the dog was in acute renalfailure and sent him on to MedVet for aurinary catheter to monitor urine outputovernight as well as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight atMedVet and his renal values havecontinued to increase daily. He producedurine when given lasix as a diuretic. He wason 3 different anti-vomiting medications andthey still couldn't control his vomiting. Todayhis urine output decreased again, his BUNwas over 120, his creatinine was at 10, hisphosphorus was very elevated and his bloodpressure, which had been staying around150, skyrocketed to 220 … He continued tovomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.
This is a very sad case – great dog, greatowners who had no idea raisins could be atoxin. Please alert everyone you know whohas a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins orgrapes could be toxic. Many people I knowgive their dog’s grapes or raisins as treatsincluding our ex-handler's. Any exposureshould give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamianuts can be fatal, too.
Even if you don't have a dog, you mighthave friends who do. This is worth passingon to them.